Call to Action (CTA)
Call to Action (CTA) – Call to Action (CTA) is another one of the buzzwords in the online marketing industry. It is a conversion tool used in parallel with your content and which can surely make a 100% difference in the conversion rates of any website when used correctly.
What is a Call to Action (CTA)?
A call to action is a text or image, or a combination of both, which directs your visitors to click on the CTA in order to proceed further and become exposed to your (our) products. In other words a “Call to Action” convinces your visitors to do something which will hopefully result in a monetary remuneration for the affiliate.
A clear CTA is very important, as it offers the visitor clear instructions and benefits on how to proceed. On the other hand, a non-clear CTA can easily lead to confusion and reduced traffic.
Where to place a Call to Action?
The first step to making a sale is to make the visitor actually see that you are making an offer available. You want your “Call to Action” to stand out from the surrounding content and really capture the attention of your website visitors. For that to be accomplished you need to make use of the empty space around the CTA.
It is extremely important to balance the amount of empty space you have around your “Call to Action” with the size of the CTA itself. It’s all about proportion. You want your CTA, the empty space around it and the surrounding content to all look like they go together, even with differences in size. You may have to play around with things a bit in order to get them looking just right.
There are two main factors to consider when deciding where to place your CTA:
- Always have your placement of the offer, whether it is a link, banner or search box, as high on the page as possible. This increases the visibility
- Use multiple locations (“touch points”). On any given webpage, the addition of touch points in multiple strategic locations greatly increases your bookings.
You can e.g. have a search box in the column and then “book here” buttons above and below a hotel description, text links integrating with the content in a relevant article and/or supplementary banners to make the opportunity to browse and book hotels clearly available to visitors.
What is an effective Call to Action?
When you are in the process of creating your “Call to Action”, it is easy to get carried away and end up creating something that people will not click on. To save you time and effort, you will find below a quick checklist of the essential components for creating a quality CTA:
- Eye-Catching Design: For a visitor to click on your CTA, the visitor has to firstly recognize its existence. Appearance in this case is everything, so be sure you adjust the size and color accordingly in order to provide an even bigger contrast compared to the rest of your webpage.
- Message that Makes People to Act: It is a necessity to use words or phrases enticing an action as to catch people’s attention. You can select various messages and even test the effectiveness of each message every few weeks by measuring the conversion rates of each.
- A clear Value Proposition: People should know exactly what will happen when they click your CTA. Make sure the “Call to Action” explains, as well as the surrounding content, the benefit of clicking and what they will get in exchange. In other words an enticement always works miracles.
- A specific page/landing page: A “Call to Action” is more effective when the journey the visitor is experiencing is a continuous one. For that to be achieved, the CTA needs to be linked to a page where the specific message/enticement of the “Call to Action” is more thoroughly explained and the desired conversion has higher chances of being achieved. So make sure that all your links are directing to the proper page and enticement. (Writer: Jesper Kauth, Head of Online Affiliates Agoda.com
Thank you very much for reading Call to Action (CTA).